Wild Birds Unlimited of Novato is currently hiring for the position of part-time Sales Associate. We are a retail store specializing in the hobby of backyard birdfeeding, helping customers to enhance their enjoyment of nature in their yard by guiding them in their selection of bird feeders, nesting boxes, field guides, and binoculars, as well as educating store visitors about wild birds and nature in our area and effective birdfeeding techniques. We are seeking one friendly individual with an interest in nature and local wild birds. Extensive birdfeeding experience is not required as long as the applicant has an enthusiasm for nature and eagerness to learn more about local birds.
- Excellent customer service is the primary responsibility of the sales associate. In addition to simply selling products, sales associates are expected to provide accurate and friendly advice to customers on how to choose and use different products to increase their enjoyment of wild birds and the hobby of backyard birdfeeding.
- Complete assigned training in retail skills, product knowledge, and “Birdfeeding Specialist” certification.
- Help to maintain a neat and fully-stocked storefront, including receiving and restocking product, bagging seed, and light cleaning tasks.
- Monthly free product allowance and 30% product discount upon completion of initial training (typically 1–2 months from hiring date), as well as opportunity to earn free binoculars and optics for long-term employees.
- Competitive retail wage and regular opportunities for additional performance-based compensation. (Starting wage dependent on experience and qualifications.)
- Extensive opportunities for continued education in bird identification and natural history. Employees who enjoy birdwatching, hiking, or nature at any level will gain an increased knowledge and appreciation of local wildlife.
- Basic bird knowledge and interest in nature. While extensive knowledge is not required, ideal applicants will be familiar with common backyard bird species and have past or current experience with backyard birdfeeding.
- Availability to work 2–3 days per week (8–20 hours) on a predictable schedule. Must be available to work two or more weekend days per month.
- Must be able to comfortably carry 20 lbs. bags of seed.
- Cheerful and personable demeanor; enthusiasm for discussing birds and nature with customers.
- Basic computer skills and ability to become proficient in computer Point-of-Sale program.
Applications can be obtained at the store or downloaded here. You may either submit an application in person at the store or forward resumes to email@example.com. For more information, contact Mike or Jack Gedney in the store, by phone at (415) 893-0500, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.